Saturday, October 23, 2010

Week/end Re-Cap: Art & Music Galore

First things first. There is a reason why I don't generally like going to swanky, pretentious clubs like Marquee: with $15 drinks, an odd mixed crowd, and a lackluster vibe, I didn't stick around for long. Oh well, you can't blame a girl for occasionally falling prey to the initial appeal .... that all-too-quickly faded.

So I decided to call it an early night yesterday. But before that, I had the fantastic opportunity to see a truly strong music set at Bruar Falls in Williamsburg. As part of CMJ, there was a free, all-day show at Bruar Falls, all bands promoted by KXSC Radio, Los Angeles. The band I went to see at 6:00 pm, Free Moral Agents, had a really perfectly appealing blend of angst, funk, and psychedelic. Quite a sound. With keyboardist Isaiah "Ikey" Owens from The Mars Volta, the band very adeptly mingles hip-hop, r&b and experiemntal stylings to create an addictive, well, psychedelic sound.

After that, I went with my friend to Taco Chulo, a really hip little Tex-Mex restaurant on Grand St. in Williamsburg, where I enjoyed tortilla soup, along with a large helping of chips and guacamole. Yum. If only I hadn't left the neighborhood for Manhattan last night, the evening probably would have gained rather than lost momentum.

And, speaking of staying around Williamsburg, here are some snapshots of my figure drawing sketches from this past Wednesday at 3rd Ward's Drink n' Draw.


No comments:

Post a Comment