Saturday, January 22, 2011

Traif: Non-Kosher, but Suitable Even if You Don't Eat Pork!

So I checked out Traif this last week, a restaurant in South Williamsburg just a hop, skip and a jump away from me. Traif's mission statement is that it celebrates "pork, shellfish, and globally-inspired soul food." Non-kosher indeed.

Upon sitting down, we were greeted with steaming pork broth to warm us up. A quick glance at the drink and food menus very quickly revealed that we could imbibe bacon-encrusted drinks and indulge in bacon-specked donuts, in addition to enjoying such tapas as bacon-wrapped dates and bacon-topped salad. I indulged in the shellfish options myself, which were utterly delectable. But if you like bacon, you need to check out this place.



Oh, and it was co-founded by a Jew. For the full story, you can visit the Traif blog, where chef and co-founder Jason Marcus wrote, "So, Traif is a restaurant that celebrates the foods that I love most, which just so happens to be the foods that I am not supposed to eat." Touche. Eating forbidden foods can be especially delectable.

No comments:

Post a Comment