Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Signal to Noise Review

The party and the museum were simply exquisite. The Museum of the Moving Image, which re-opened on Saturday night, is delightfully sprawling and awe-inspiring. With a stark contemporary interior and numerous areas designated for live performances and happenings, the venue was a delightful place to spend my Saturday evening. With multiple live performances and DJs throughout the night, the Signal to Noise party also opened its exhibits for party-goers.

So, all in one evening, I was able to soak in the history of the moving image and party with my friends. I learned factoids such as that Robert DeNiro's immortalized "You talkin' to me?" line in Taxi Driver was made up by the actor during filming. The prosthetic mangled legs of the character Beth in Black Swan were on display, as were numerous other prosthetic busts of actors. Old-school TV's and video cameras were displayed nostalgically, and as a reminder that technology continues to develop at increasingly lightning speeds.


 
 (above, old school Star Wars tape dispenser.. !)

After wandering around the museum, I sipped Heineken in the downstairs lounge areas while dancing with my friends under the bright lighting, along with the rest of the very attractive and intelligent-looking crowd.

And the train ride to and from Williamsburg was surprisingly painless. I will have to check out more events at this museum in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment