Sunday, September 12, 2010

Brooklyn Deliciousness and Debauchery

The storm clouds looming overhead today bring a sense of stillness to the city, the eerie quiet that precedes cleansing storms. It is fitting that the rain has held off until today, Sunday; the crisp, mild Fall weather of Friday and Saturday afforded a thorough enjoyment of the weekend, so that today we can stay out of the rainstorms and recuperate, indoors and cozy, free of guilt from not being outside.

Friday, I discovered Roberta's, a charming restaurant/pizzeria tucked into a quiet street in Bushwick. I am already planning on shortly returning to sample more of the deliciousness! After enjoying salad, cuttlefish and wine (yes, I had a glass! cheers to moderation...), I proceeded with my friend to Kings County Bar, a small hipster bar around the corner, in Bushwick/East Williamsburg. Sipping on my seltzer and lime, I sat outside with my friend in the lovely enclosed backyard area, listening to her stories of the bar's Saturday night frenzied crowd. Apparently Saturdays is a wild ruckus of a dance party and even has go-go dancers!

I may return there for less sober times in the future. But Friday night, after saying good-night to my friend, I departed to meet up in Greepoint. Here I discovered yet another place new to me, the Manhattan Inn, a confusingly named piano bar/jazz lounge/eatery in Greenpoint. I have to come back here as well!

All of this fun with only one glass of wine and good company!

Saturday, refreshingly not hungover, I embarked on a new adventure: BBQ party in Bushwick, celebrating my friend's birthday, mingling, and then biking and dancing galore. I have to say, I love, love love love small private outdoor parties! There is nothing better than a garden BBQ party in lovely crisp Fall weather, with good company, good food, and good music. I am excited about getting to know friends of friends better and delighted that NYC is opening up this way to me, with its hidden gardens and parties.

And then, I biked all the way to the Gowanus, from Bushwick, to the Bell House. I vaguely knew the way, vaguely got lost, and then seemingly magically arrived shortly before midnight, in time to pay the reduced entry for the Cheryl dance party. With a 7-11 costume theme, a free table to decorate yourself and thumping electro music, the party was truly jumping.

It was such an enthusiastic, visually fascinating crowd that I didn't even crave a drink. (And I was already good to go, with sangria from the BBQ party.) I even made it home on my bike before 2:30 a.m. Party pics below (which don't even do justice to the costumes or party).



And, today, there is a block party in Bushwick!! I wonder if it's rain or shine... Highlights include food from Roberta's and some great free music... !

No comments:

Post a Comment