Sunday, April 25, 2010

New York Restoration Project and Real "Earth Day" Events

So after all the hullabalo of Earth Day in NYC, I had a subsequent few days that were a little more genuine in their celebration of Earth Day.

My Saturday afternoon took me to check out the Buffalo Eachange $1sale, which admittedly was incredible, but I decided to resist the urge for purchases I didn't need (or really want) and continued my walk on the mellow, sunny Saturday afternoon. Then I came across the McCarren Park Greenmarket - the farmer's market at my local Williamsburg park - where I sampled a variety of apples, people-watched and picked up a flyer on Grow NYC's Clothing & Textile Recycling operation. Next time I have clothing to discard, I think I will bring it to my local greenmarket to be recycled -- pretty impressive! And, after having recently finished Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food, I will be sure to shop more frequently at my local greenmarket.

And, in culmination of my Earth Day weekend, I spent the day today at Union Square Park, where I participated in what New York Restoration Project (NYRP) called "New York City's gardening event of the season"- a series of workshops and rows and rows of booths on everything from wildlife to organic gardening on your rooftop to ConEd's green energy. My friend and I estimated afterward that we had acquired around $35 worth of booty in assorted (mostly organic) goods after we walked away from the event -- that and several packets of seeds, which has all served to plant its own seed of inspiration for me to attempt some fire escape/windowsill gardening of my own!! I have managed to keep houseplants alive, so why not some tomatoes and herbs...?



Here's to a relaxing, green weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment