Thursday, August 20, 2009

Cruise, Music, Dancing... An Idyllic Hot Summer Night

Okay, I admit it; I didn't make it to Tuesday's free events. Between the heat and my slowly-recovering bike incident scrapes, I have been a little lethargic lately.

BUT, last night I did have an adventure, and it was the kind of night I would definitely repeat again.

First, I went on a cruise on the Queen of Hearts, which has weekly cruises, Wed-Fri for only $10 (in advance, $15 at the door). It was a three-hour cruise, which set sail from Pier 40, on West Houston St. and the West Side Highway, and featured two floors of dancing, a buffet, live Brazilian dancers and spectacular views. Sadly, I didn't have my camera on-hand, and a phone camera did not produce such worthy results.

Check out the Fire on the Water Cruise site for information; every Wednesday is a regular Brazilian boat ride party, from 7-10 pm, and there are similar events Thursday and Friday. This cruise is part of the larger Affairs Afloat company, which calls boasts that it has "New York's Largest Sailing Night Clubs!"

After the cruise, I meandered on over to the West Village and saw live music at The Red Lion, at 151 Bleeker St. The Red Lion, which boasts of itself as being considered a "premier live music venue in the city" truly was; the cover was only $5 and was a steal for the fantastic funk and blues performances of the night. They also have live music acts 7 nights a week, apparently, from 7 pm - 10 pm and 10 pm - 1 am.

The band that I saw was Milo Z. , which proclaims, "Milo Z is to New York City what the Funky Meters are to New Orleans." Though NYC may not know it yet, Milo Z. really is a phenomenal band, with an energetic live performance featuring Milo Z. the frontman, a backup singer, a drummer and four saxophonists. Worth checking out!

In fact... check out the video clip below!



1 comment:

  1. Hey R! I definitely want to check out a cruise before it gets too cool to enjoy it. Join me? And glad you felt the funk! Milo Z is a funk staple that rocks every show! Check myspace.com/milozband for upcoming shows.
    Peace~
    T.

    ReplyDelete