Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Circus: Featuring Britney Spears

Don't judge. 

I went to see Britney Spears last night at Madison Square Garden, as part of her tour, "The Circus Featuring Btitney Spears." Knowing it would be a full-scale circus act, I decided I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see such an icon, as mixed as Britney's publicity has been. 

Britney also plays tonight at tomorrow! And, I believe, owing to the recession, shows are not sold out. (See the Ticketmaster site here.)

So, to sum up the show: I was both more impressed and more disappointed than I had expected to be.

Britney had two openers, Kristinia DeBarge and Jordin Sparks. I didn't expect Britney to begin until 10 or so, though it was a Monday. The 20-minute countdown for Britney began at 8:40 pm; at 9 pm, the Circus began, but Britney's appearance, of course, was later, after the crowd had built up its anticipation even further.

Britney truly gave a strong performance, with stunning -- and scandalous -- outfits, stunts and dance moves. What impressed me was how confident and happy she appeared; of course, it is her job to give off that charismatic aura, but she sincerely appeared to be loving every minute of it. What disappointed me was that there were many circus interludes and her stage/performance time was only a fraction of her actual show. Surprised, no, but a little disappointed, yes.

Yes, it was definitely a circus. Which is not to say that it was appropriate for children; parents, next time, leave your kiddies at home when you watch a scandalous show such as Britney's!




No comments:

Post a Comment