Friday, July 11, 2008

First Blog Entry: Swoon Magazine meets the CSV!

Hello and welcome to my new blog! After waking up at 11:00 a.m. from the previous night's adventure, I decided to finally embark on this blog adventure to start honing my writing craft and get my voice out there. I am still a little skeptical, as I have this stereotype of blogs as all-too-personal, in a similar vein as Facebook, yet more detailed, self-gratuitous and very possibly embarrassing or simply giving the public TMI (too much information!). So I will try to refrain from that, or do it in only the most interesting/amusing way possible...

Last night I checked out Swoon Magazine's Summer Issue Release Party -- www.swoonmagazine.com -- a publication I really don't think I previously had even heard of. The event took place at the CSV Center (www.csvcenter.com), a cultural center at 107 Suffolk Street that hosts cultural events as well as parties very reminiscent of the Williamsburg loft party scene.

The crowd last night was largely comprised of very hip, young guys and girls mostly in their early 20's, with varying types of asymmetrical hairstyles and pretentiously casual attire. The party itself consisted of several indoor rooms and a little backyard area. The main indoor scene had live performances and well-known DJ's, as well as stations of little white helium balloons, some with permanent markers attached for the drawing pleasure of the public. At one point my friends and I decided to check out this little station, first looking at some of the already illustrated balloons. A few of them had vulgar images, and my friend simply responded, "Go for it," when I suggested I pop a balloon with a particularly crude drawing. I proceeded in doing this, and much to our surprise, no one apparently noticed! I ended the night taking a cab home with a balloon illustrated by yours truly attached to my wrist.

I can't really complain about the evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment