Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Broadway -- Cirque Dreams: Jungle Fantasy (Indeed)


So I bought three tickets to see Cirque Dreams: Jungle Fantasy on Broadway last month as a surprise gift to my father who was visiting right around Father's Day. His flight was supposed to be arriving about an hour and a half before the show, and my sister agreed on the plan. She hesitated though: wasn't there a possibly sub-optimal weather forecast for that evening for both NYC and his departure city? I waved this off and spontaneously bought the tickets, feeling clever and proud of my plan.

Sure enough, his flight was delayed and, because of my ongoing questioning of when he thought he would arrive and so on, we neither saw the show nor did he arrive without having a very good hunch of what I might be scheming. Still, I suppose it's the sentiment that counts; my father did indeed appreciate the thought, and hopefully another time I will be able to surprise him with a show. Regarding the tickets: the theater allows past-dating, and my plan is to see Cirque Dreams tonight finally! http://www.cirqueproductions.com/ To see a little clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErdwXm4UnTE

I will report back later on how the show is tonight!

LATER

I was very skeptical and anxious at the show's outset that it was primarily geared towards kids. A glimpse at the row in front of us, all girls and their moms/chaperones, further confirmed this suspicion. Yet, very quickly, the show developed to reveal a breathtaking spectacle for the enjoyment of children and adults alike. Yes, there was even adult humor in the show. Initially embarrassed by the childlike humor of the show, the over-the-top costumes, and the very typical musical theatricality of the performance, I was soon deeply, if not fully, enraptured.

Full of unbelievable contortionism, acrobatics, glittering and glowing costumes of a variety of jungle creatures (from frogs to ostriches to giant flowers), and amazing acts featuring a variety of largely very original props, the performance soon exceeded not only my initial response but my earlier optimistic expectations. Sitting there watching the absolutely polished choreographed performance, I was enthralled by the potential flexibility and aerodynamics of the human body.

Not being particularly fond of show tunes, my only criticism of this show was the soundtrack. This annoyance, however, was not only diminished by the otherwise entirely stunning performance, but also by the live violin player on stage. This musician livened and enhanced the theatrical music; furthermore, he had a spirited stage presence and even provided impressive interactions with other performers, including the few instances when dancers fully wrapped themselves neatly around his torso and he simply continued his energetic playing.

If you are particularly interested in acrobatics, circus performances, and/or costumes, or simply want to see an energizing performance, this show comes strongly recommended. http://cirquedreamsbroadway.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment